Introduction and Announcements

  
New Original ! 
Aankhon ko - आँखों को

Older Compositions : Haule SeUdalin Thiriyaale , Choolena
Available in iTunes and Amazon !!

Learn Indian Classical Dance in Riyadh   !!

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Audio Post - Thikana Na -Bengali Song



Today I felt like trying something absolutely adventurous - I would say. The song I you hear here is "thikana na rekhe" sung by the Bengali singer - Haimanti shukla. A few months back I was introduced to Haimanti Shukla through this song. It was instant addiction / love / attraction - whatever it is - she has become my most favorite singer these days. Her songs are soaked in emotion and each note spills melody.


With No disrespect to Lata I can safely say that Haimanti touches my heart better than Lata in spite of the language. I know hindi very well but I seem to be happier with unknown bangla of Haimanti rather than known hindi of Lata. For starters - Haimanti is the singer who sang with Yesudas the hindi song - "Kahan se aaye badra". Her soulful singing with the golden voiced KJY made me listen to it infinite times and later when I got more songs of Haimanti I grabbed them with both hands.


To understand one song of Haimanti takes days. And to reproduce the nuances takes weeks ! Her effortless ease in singing and soulful rendition transcends language barriers and touches the hearts. I know absolutely no bengali (or bangla) but I sat to learn this song with the diction.


I have tried my level best to render it as she has done. I have added small aalaaps at the beginning and end of the song which was not in the original just for a wholesome feelingThere are some glaring mistakes that I can recognize myself. I think I can rectify them only if I am Haimanti myself or probably her student.

17 comments:

  1. Amazing murali.

    I must appreciate your almost perfect bangla pronounciation.
    Its hard.. but u sure seem like you know what you are singing.

    The song has beautiful lyrics. :)
    Just for few lines that i wasnt able to make out.. I will go back and listen to them.

    Since you started on this line, it would be nice to hear some good ghazals and more hindustani music :) They have similar lyrics and feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi nyneisha:

    Thanks for your continuous support. I learnt the meanings too. It was interesting to note that Bangla is more like distorted hindi and sanskrit. It was a little easy to understand but pretty difficult to sing / enunciate. The special vowel sounds that bangla has had to be learnt with diligence for each word.

    BTW, do you know bangla ? I am indeed planning to sing more of ghazalish / hindustani stuff. They have amazing melody which not only gives room for emploration but also fuels imagination for new songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MS
    enna vidha vidhama paadi asathareenga
    apparam how did your thesis presentation go ?
    looking forward to your music

    appadiye namma blog pakkam vandhu ponga
    I have composed some songs for Naryanan venkitu lyrics
    one more on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kichu din holo banglaye kotha bole. bangla kintu bhalo korey jaantam. Aabar aapnar sangeet shuney, banglaye kotha bolte jesta korchi...:P

    yeah.. i know bangali.was a fun hobby learning new languages..But now i love that i can comprehend diff languages.

    Btw.. will send you some bangla songs that a friend send me.. :) Lovely numbers..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ganesh:

    thesis innum mudiyalai. mduiyum gara nambikkaila vaazkkai vaNdi going. ippO verumna paadaththaan mudiyum. Cannot make music on the keyboard. I visited your blog - kalakkunga - you singer very well. Suddenly I see a bloom with many talented singers putting their songs up and composers like Venkitu coming with some soul stirring melodies. good for us.

    Nyneishia:

    Every time I type your name, I have to take extra care not to make a typo. It is putting me through stress and since I cannot take more stress than phd now, I choose to abbreviate you as "Nyns" :) hope you woudl not mind. It is good to know you knw bengali. Though I relaly do not know bengali I kind of make out what you said in the post. the second line at least says "But I know bengalist pretty well". That is all :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nyns is fine :))..
    All the best for your PhD.

    I need to send my blogging packing for a while.. Else, I will be very free for blogging for ever and my PI will have a lot of free fund.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was apleasure hearing ur songs.amazing talents.Jo gave me the link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely soul stirring!!!!I have just let the song play continuously on the winamp!
    Rabindra Shangeeth ellaam try panni paarunga. Romba nalla paadringa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb singing buddy. :-) Haven't heard the song before, but you have sung it very beautifully.

    I have heard "Kahaan se aaye badra". Thanks for the info about this wonderful singer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Murali - Wonderful, the best from you so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. murali good luck with you phd,
    i am just being nostalgic how we guys used to discuss music now tfmpagela nothing happening, i guess we all kind of got really busy with our work and life.

    but with blogging we all can have common platform to exchange ideas.
    so once you finish, i expect you get on with your music.
    apparam are you in touch with Arun,Srikanth and rest of our gang.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi murali,

    thanks for the comment in my blog. Your songs are very good. You have great control over your voice and pitches. Thats simply awesome performance.

    I dont have experience in carnatic music.. I tried a lot to learn when I was in india but couldn't get a chance. I am trying my level best :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:13 PM

    nannaa paadi irukkE. Obviously, one can tell that it has been sung by a non-Bengali but you have absolutely zero pronunciation mistakes. because of the regular computer microphone bHa, pHa, tHa..ellaam konjam vedikkira maadhiri irukku.

    rajaG

    ReplyDelete
  14. G :

    Thanks for those comments. May be with a pop filter I may be able to remove those noses. Also, I think I have kind of tried to overpronounce the words owing to the ineherent fear of mispronounicng them. The smoothness in the language is a long shot from here.

    And when are we going to hear you on the web ? May be I should put a song of yours here to let people know how good you are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. anand:

    your suggn to use cool edit pro has worked remakably well. Thanks to you and Jo.

    I dont have experience in carnatic either. I am also trying my level best :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Guess i reached here very late. wonderful song very soulful. god bless your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Muraliji,
    Excellent try with a bengali song...couldnt help but hear this first...came here from vidyu's blog...

    good work with the diction...you must love the song to sing it without music....

    well done :-)

    ReplyDelete